Nearly four years after the Grenfell Tower disaster, hundreds of thousands of people are still living in unsafe homes in the UK. Today, Labour is forcing a vote to make sure the Government protects them and makes those responsible, not the leaseholders, some of whom have faced life-ruining charges, pay for repairs. We are calling to set up a National Cladding Taskforce, to ensure
• Immediate up-front funding to remove deadly cladding and other urgent fire safety work
• Protection of leaseholders and taxpayers, by pursuing those responsible for the cladding scandal for costs
• A new, legally enforceable 2022 deadline to make homes safe
• Legislation to protect residents from costs
• Getting the market moving by ensuring affected residents can sell and remortgage
• Stamp out rogue builders by reforming the sector
Constituents will know I have long been a champion of leasehold reform. This latest way of passing responsibility from builders to resident homeowners will not be tolerated, and neither will government inaction.